I’ve just picked up a new client who found me on LinkedIn!
But what’s that got to do with my business card?
Here’s the story …
I just returned from a networking meeting with a handful of business cards.
Wahay, I’m doing what thousands of small biz guys around the country are doing right now: make those connections.
BIG DEAL! Right?
Well, Perhaps: Perhaps Not!
But for most people – I’m guessing – the meeting will become a vague memory very quickly and the time invested will be ‘down to experience’.
“Well, I’ve paid my sub (cost = about £50 per meeting) and I turned up. Let’s see what happens next”, is what most people say to themselves.
And good luck to them – genuinely.
But what if? Just suppose you were one of those people who wanted to CAPITALISE on your investment!
Are you perhaps one of those people who, when they invest in something – a pension, a savings plan, a business, a new idea – they do actually want to get a return?
Perhaps you are one of those people who don’t just WANT a return, you actually PLAN HOW YOU WILL GET A RETURN and WHAT THAT RETURN WILL LOOK LIKE!
If you’re like that, then it could just be that YOU WILL ACTUALLY GET A BETTER RETURN ON YOUR INVESTMENT than someone who ‘just turns up’. What do you think?
MAXIMISE the POTENTIAL for the Return on Your Investment
So, all I’m going to do today is give you my view on what makes a business card that MAXIMISES the POTENTIAL for the Return on Your Investment.
- It needs to have your name on it. Why? Because you are the face of the business you are representing. It’s as simple as that. People will remember you first, and what you do second.
- It needs to make it DEAD EASY for people to STAY CONNECTED with you. Many people think that relationships can’t be built off the back of a single face-to-face meeting. This is a complete MYTH, provided you pave the way to CONTINUING THE RELATIONSHIP, usually through virtual channels. You will attend meetings and meet some people once and NEVER see them again. Why would you not STAY CONNECTED WITH THEM when our whole internet-centred world enables us to do that easily, quickly and very effectively?
- Recognise that your view of the world is different from everybody else’s. What I mean by this is: don’t just assume that if someone wants to contact you, giving them your email address is going to be sufficient. There are people who ONLY communicate through Facebook! There are people for whom their main method of communication is texting.
LONG STORY SHORT
- Every one of the business cards I was given has the person’s name on it. (This is not always the case).
- Every one of the business cards I was given has an email address on it. (Except that one was a @btconnect – creates the impression of ‘small’ but not in a good way).
- One business card DOES NOT HAVE A MOBILE NUMBER ON IT! (I don’t want the receptionist, I want the person!)
- NOT ONE BUSINESS CARD HAS A TWITTER URL ON IT!
- NOT ONE BUSINESS CARD HAS A FACEBOOK URL ON IT!
- NOT ONE BUSINESS CARD HAS A LINKEDIN URL ON IT!
And yet, 50% of the people have a Facebook Page and between them are ‘Liked’ by, or are ‘Friends’ with 4,800 other people!!!
This is just the tip of the ICEBERG that will sink many TITANIC businesses over the next few years.
So do you now get it ? Do you get that it’s the EASE with which people can connect with you that is the KEY to making not just more connections, but making the right connections: the ones that will be with your ideal customer: the one most likely to buy from you – IF THEY COULD JUST GET HOLD OF YOU – EASILY!
Don’t believe me! Then I wish you the very best of luck.
Thanks for reading.